What I Believe

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

WWJD

Does anyone remember those bracelets that had WWJD printed on them? WWJD stood for what would Jesus do and the acronym was supposed to remind those wearing the bracelet to ask the question when faced with a decision. I have started to ask myself another question with the acronym HWJL. How would Jesus love? Everything Jesus did was in love, so if I am to emulate Him, I need to learn to love like he loved. Jesus gave another commandment in John 13:34 when he told the disciples: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you us love one another.

The command love one another might not be so difficult. But then Jesus says "As I have loved you, so you must love one another." This is where it gets tough. Jesus raised the bar on love.

Paul must have known that people have trouble loving like Jesus loved. He gave attributes of love in his letters to the Corinthians. In 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 he writes:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not
rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs. Love
does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects,
always trusts, always hope, always perseveres. Love never fails."


Dear Father in Heaven, Thank you for Paul and his letter to the Corinthians. Guide me into patience and kindness. Let me be content with the many blessings I have received. Keep me grounded in Your word. Focus my heart and energies on Your will, not mine. Loosen the grip I have on the wrongs against me. Make me a seeker of truth. Please forgive me when I fail. Pick me up and set me back on the right path when I stumble and fall. Thank you for the hope and power of Your love. It is in the name of Your son Jesus Christ that I ask these things. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment